Last night (5th May) saw the Lighting Design Awards celebrated its 40th year. So what exactly is the ceremony all about? In partnership with the Institution Of Lighting Professionals alongside the Society Of Light And Lighting, the event is an established calendar highlight for luxury lighting professionals across the UK. Attended by nearing 1000 people each year, the ceremony is a celebration of the boldest and most innovative work across the lighting industry for everyone from designers, through manufacturers, to clients.
With a rigorous judging process involved, the Lighting Design Awards has maintained a reputation as one of the most prestigious events of its kind. All the projects entered are examined by a distinguished group of lighting experts, and every project shortlisted for an award is visited so that the reality of each instillation can be judged.
The categories for the Lighting Design Awards are as follows:
- Architectural Luminaire Interior
- Architectural Luminaire Exterior
- Hotel and Restaurant Project of the Year
- Leisure Project of the Year
- Retail Project of the Year
- Heritage Project of the Year
- Workplace Project of the Year
- Community and Public Realm Project of the Year
- Daylight Project of the Year
- Integration Project of the Year
- Light Art Project of the year
- Architect of the Year
- Lighting Design Practice of the Year
- Lighting Designer of the Year
This year, to mark their fortieth awards, alongside the aforementioned award categories the Lighting Design Awards named forty young designers as representatives of a new generation for the lighting industry. The aim is clear: to take the lighting craft into the twenty first century, moving from the work of pioneers to recognize the excellence being created this very moment. Selected by a panel of experts, nominated by principals, or having already received independent recognition in competitions and awards, the Forty Under Forty are all well on their way to making outstanding contributions across the lighting industry.
For details of the award winners at this year’s Lighting Design Awards ceremony, read our blog on the event.